PM Reader Challenge – The Black Phantom
For this task you need to do some reading out loud.
- You will record a video of yourself reading the first page of your PM Reader.
- At the SAME TIME you will use the Voice Typing feature on this Google Doc.
This will give you an opportunity to hear how you read, and to see how accurate your pronunciation is.
|Start your Voice Typing here: “The BMX ultra one is the coolest bike on two wheels,” said Finn to his mother. “is that right?” Mom replied, pulling out a handful of weeds. Finn heaved a super-loud sigh. “it’s affecting my social standing to not have a BMX bike.” He added, hopefully, “you know how important the peer group is to an eleven year old.” Mum shrugged. She seemed more interested in unearthing a dandelion than in discussing Finn’s social standing. “so, Mum … do you think I could get a BMX ultra one?” “of course.” Finn felt a great surge of relief. Well, more a surge of shock, really. He made a mental note to pick an extra big bunch of roses from the garden for Mother’s Day. “And can I get a turbo frame with splatter paint?” “of course,” said mum. “and stunt pegs?” Finn added. “Why not?” Mum tossed the dandelion onto the compost heap. “you can have any kind of bike you like, Finn, as long as you pay for it.” “oh.” Finn sighed, again
|Attach the Google Drive link to your video here;
Once you have finished reading the text, answer these questions;
- What type of bike did Finn tell his mother he wanted? BMX Ultra One
- What is a peer group? A group of classmates
- Why was Pop’s bike called “The Black Phantom”? Because of how it looks it is shiny black with a red trim.
- Why didn’t Finn know about The Black Phantom? Because it was made the same year his pop was born so it was really old.
- How did Pop feel when Finn said he wanted to earn the bike “spoke by spoke”?
Joyful and proud.
- Why is it better to work hard for something special, than to be given it? Because then you actually earn it and don’t get it for doing absolutely nothing and that can make you feel really good about yourself and know that you deserve it.